Cooking dinner together is a great way to get the family having fun! Getting the kids in the kitchen to help you out with dinner not only teaches them how to cook but also provides hours of fun and memories.
The easiest way to get kids involved with cooking dinner is to start with simple recipes that even a five-year-old can help with!
1.Dough Boy Mini Spinach Pies- These quick and easy pies filled with chicken, eggs, cheese, and chopped spinach mini are easy to make and yummy to eat.
· Jumbo Homestyle Buttermilk Refrigerated Biscuits (5 ct.)
· Frozen Chopped Spinach (9 oz
· 1/2 pkg. 8 oz. shredded Colby Jack cheese (about 4 oz.)
· 1/2-pound cooked, skinless chicken breasts
· 4 large eggs
· 2 Tbsp. butter
· pepper to taste
· Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
· Separate biscuit dough in half; roll into 3-inch rounds.
· Shred chicken and divide to make 5 servings.
· Add 2 tablespoons butter to skillet.
· Whisk eggs and pepper together and add to skillet.
· Cook egg mixture over medium heat; soft scramble.
· While egg mixture is cooking, squeeze any excess water from thawed spinach.
· Once eggs are done, remove from heat.
· Add to 1/2 biscuit dough, top with 2 tablespoons spinach, shredded chicken, and two tablespoons cheese.
· Place other half of biscuit dough on top and crimp edges; top with cheese.
· Bake as directed; about 10 minutes.
2. Rainbow Goulash-Rainbow goulash is a simple, filling recipe, and with only eight ingredients, this goulash is sure to become a crowd pleaser with your hungry bunch!
· 1 12 oz. box rainbow rotini pasta
· 1/2 yellow onion
· 1/2 green bell pepper
· 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
· 2 pounds lean ground beef
· 1/4 cup beef stock
· 1 15.25 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn-drained
· 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
· 1 cup spaghetti sauce
· Prepare pasta as directed
· While pasta cooks, finely chop onion and bell pepper
· Combine 1 tbsp. oil, onions, and peppers in large skillet. Cook over medium heat until soft
· Add ground beef and cook until brown, stirring occasionally. Do not drain
· While ground beef mixture cooks, add diced tomatoes, beef stock, and spaghetti sauce
· Simmer mixture 5-7 minutes
· Drain corn and add to ground beef mixture
· Drain pasta and add to ground beef mixture, stir until well mixed.
3. Sausage Jambalaya- With only five ingredients you can go from skillet to table in five minutes.
· 1 cup UNCLE BEN’S® READY RICE® Cajun Style or Red Beans and Rice
· 1 each red, green, and yellow bell pepper- 1/2 each diced
· 1 Vidalia onion- 1/2 diced
· 1 large firm red tomato-1/2 diced
· 1 16 oz. pkg. smoked sausage
· 3 tablespoons butter
· Add butter to skillet, melt over medium heat
· Cut the sausage into 1-inch bite size round pieces
· Dice veggies
· Place veggies in skillet, sauté about 1-2 minutes until the veggies are well married.
· Add smoked sausage (do not let sausage fry). Cook until juices pop.
· Place rice in microwave per package directions and add to veggie-sausage mixture.
· Continue to simmer about 3 minutes to let the flavors blend together.
With quick and easy recipes the entire family can make together, it’s time to put down the cell phone, turn off the T.V., and pick up a skillet!